THE WOMEN’S CENTER’S LEADERSHIP SERIES PRESENTS:
The Balancing Act: Managing Motherhood and Your Career
The Women’s Center is pleased to announce an exciting evening workshop with nationally known journalist and women’s advocate, Kelly Wallace, Chief Correspondent, iVillage, and former CNN and CBS correspondent, and Colleen Smith, professional career coach, therapist, and Human Resources executive who focuses her career on helping women achieve the balance they seek so they can obtain greater satisfaction in their lives.
There is a lot of pressure placed on mothers from society, friends, and family – from the guilt over missing childhood milestones to the pressures of trying to create “perfect children.” Add to this the demands of a high level career, and the combination can be overwhelming. In fact, in a recent joint iVillage/today.com poll of working women, 97% said they feel stressed and tired and over 85% said they feel guilty. Another dimension is the “older” mother, who has postponed starting a family until after her career was well underway. In many cases, she is a top-level corporate manager or executive, balancing demands of a high performance career and family life, combined with other related issues.
This workshop will help senior managers and corporate executives learn how to keep a balanced perspective, filter outside pressure, reduce negative self-messages, and increase motherhood enjoyment. Examine the role of expectation management in creating successful balance between motherhood and your career.
Through this workshop experience, you will:
- Discuss handling competing demands of a senior level career including long hours, travel, and after hour events with being present for your kids
- Understand how stress and resentment can directly impact your relationships
- Learn about approaches taken by other mothers with successfuL careers, including flexible working arrangements, sequencing, entrepreneurship
- Explore ideas for maximizing efficiency at both home and office
- Hear current relevant statistics to inform your decisions as you cultivate your own work-life balance
Date: October 19, 2011
Time: 6:00 to 9:00pm
Location: KPMG Offices
1676 International Drive
McLean, VA 22102
Ticket Price: $90
All proceeds from this event will support The Women’s Center.